I woke up singing this morning alongside the mama robin outside my bedroom window, mostly because it’s one of my favorite posts to write each month.
What I Learned in April:
1. My April Stitch Fix batted the same average as March’s. I still find it worthwhile (especially with the help of credits), but I hope May’s box is a little more me. If you want to read my review of my Second Fix, click here and scroll halfway down the page ’til you see the picture above.
2. The song “Automatic” by Miranda Lambert is a new favorite. My kids love it too, even though they don’t understand all the old-timey references (i.e. a picture you have to shake). Subscribers: click here to view it.
3. Speaking of music, I’ve fallen hopelessly in love with Ellie Holcomb. Everytime I pick a favorite song from her new album As Sure As the Sun, I change my mind. Today, I’m most smitten with “Marvelous Light.” And “My Portion and Strength.” And “Night Song.”
(old school science project: growing crystals)
4. As it turns out, having science projects delayed from January to April is not the good thing I thought it was in January. Because the only thing worse than science projects due in the winter is science projects due in the spring. And for the first time ever, all three kids had to crank out a project. Lord, have mercy.
5. Some of my favorite people in the world are military kids, for all these reasons and so much more.
6. I love that my kind husband buys me roses just because (see photo at top).
7. Did you hear this catchy tune written (and performed by) Christa Wells and Nicole Witt? “We Can Do Something Extraordinary” celebrates friendship in the spirit of (in)courage’s conference, (in)RL. On a side note, my daughter and I have officially renamed it the “Ba Da Da” song, and if you listen to it you’ll discover why. (Subscribers, click here to listen.) Here are some of my favorite lyrics from the song, which happens to be the chorus:
“I wanna meet you where you’re at, you can tell me where you’ve come from,
Say you’ve got my back, we can do something, we can do something,
Bigger than we are when we’re dreaming big together,
Brave beating hearts, we can do something, we can do something extraordinary.”
8. I’ve always been a big Emma Watson fan (Hermione forever!). But I love her even more after reading this.
9. My favorite way to celebrate (in)RL is at the R & R Coffee Cafe. Or as our family calls it, the Little (Coffee) House in the Big Woods. Located in the Black Forest area of Colorado Springs, the R & R is rustic and relaxed – one of my favorite combinations. It’s not too far from my house, so I love to go there when I need to write but want a change of scenery.
And to Helen, Ann-Marie, Sarah, Jennifer, Jessica, Anastasia, and Jamie, thank *you* for coming to my (in)RL meetup! I had a blast hanging out with y’all and hearing your stories! Also, a special thank you to my daughter Faith, the official directions-giver on our giveaway.
10. If you aren’t near family for Easter, then spend it with a different one! We spent Easter with our good friends the Petersens and our sweet neighbors Chris, Lauren, and Katelyn. Pictured above is little miss Katelyn and her gorgeous mama Lauren. It was a beautiful day spent celebrating Christ’s resurrection.
11. This good word spoke into my life when I read it earlier this month, and it’s still resonating with me now:
“I can do nothing to save myself; but by his grace God has done everything for me in Christ.”
~ Watchman Nee
Thank you Jesus.
So what did you learn this April? Visit Emily for more “what I learned in April” offerings.